top of page

Day 8 - 10/17/18

My first ever MRI was yesterday. If I can go the rest of my life with never having to do that again, I would be so appreciative. It probably wasn't as bad as it seemed, because people go through it all the time, but, I'd prefer not to do it again.

When I told the medical assistant that I had never had an MRI before, she recommended that I take something that would help me to relax--she made sure I had a prescription for something GOOD. I took it about an hour before the scheduled appointment. It took a little time before the happy pill kicked in, but by the time the process began, I was feeling "relaxed."

IV in...... Laying face down on the MRI table..... Ear plugs in...... I'm ready! As I'm going inside the tube, the technician made the mistake of telling me, "Whatever you do, don't raise your head while the procedure is going on."...... Now that's just great!.... If she hadn't said that, I would have been fine...... But now....... ONLY because she said that...... I have an urge to raise my head!.....

Self-talking myself out of it, I suppress the urge, and try to think "happy thoughts." Then I become aware of how uncomfortable I am. Is there really nothing that can be done to make this any better? Surely some of the Star Trek or Star Wars technology can be created to improve this process..... ??

The technician announces that there's only about 10 - 15 minutes left, and she is ready to put in the dye. Everything has been uneventful, up unto this point, so no worries, right? Wrong. It was at that point that I felt everything in my stomach attempting to come up. I was very aware that it didn't have anywhere to go. Now I'd like to tell you that I called on the Lord and asked Him to deliver me. The true story, though, is that I mustered up every bit of mental strength I had and begged for the medicine to "relax" me so I wouldn't throw up all over the very expensive machine. Apparently that worked because I successfully made it out of the machine without spilling my guts.

Well..... From that point, until a few hours ago, I have had a very strong sense of nausea. I'm not sure if it was the medicine or the dye, but I have been feeling awful since yesterday.

Today was the Echocardiogram. That procedure was not bad at all. It has, somewhat, given me redemption for the MRI fiasco. Tomorrow is the Chemo training, and Friday is the Port Placement surgery. I'm eager to see what these experiences will bring. Most of the adrenaline has subsided, and I'm ready to find out how my body will react to the Chemo. Trusting in God, in advance, for continued peace and comfort for the next process.

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength." Isaiah 26: 3 - 4 KJV

Day 9:


bottom of page